Jackson Black,, CC BY-SA 2.0
Swinton is a small village in the Scottish Borders. It is in the former county of Berwickshire, around 5 miles (8 kilometres) southeast of Duns, and 3 miles (5 kilometres) northwest of the Anglo-Scottish border
winton dates to the 11th century or earlier, and is associated with the Swinton family, who took their name from the settlement. In 1769, the village was re-designed and a market was created, now marked by the market cross. A parish church was built and still stands today. In the churchyard, the Swintons have their own burial enclosure. In 1843, the Free Church of Swinton was built, but in the 1900s the spire was removed and it became the local village hall.
The main parish church was remodelled in 1910 by Robert Lorimer.
The name of the village is a contraction of Swine Town, a name borne from the large number of wild boar the land was once inhabited by.
Skip hire in Swinton?
Selkirk Skip hire covers and services Swinton and the surrounding areas in North Northumberland and the Scottish Borders offering a same day service, 7 days a week